Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I'm furious!

As you all know from my previous posts, we were going to walk away from our home, file bankruptcy and be done with it. When Josh got a hold of the community manager here and told her what our plans were, her boss' boss (M) came out to meet with us. In that meeting he told us that if we walked away and tried to file bankruptcy on a home we can afford to pay on but choose not to, we could be charged with fraud. He told us they would work with us on getting our home on the market. He sent out the realtor that sells these homes (G) on May 19th. G told us that the community manager (L) or her boss (K) would have to do an outer inspection on the house before we can list it for sale. So Josh went the next day, Wednesday (May 20th), to the office and asked L about getting the inspection done. She said she would contact K to find out if she can do it herself (She's new and still training) or if K would have to come do it. L said we'd hear something as soon as she knew something. On Friday, G had to come back to our house to pick up his camera that he left here. He showed up here around 8am. He asked us if we had found out anything on the inspection. Josh told him that he asked L about it on Wednesday but we hadn't heard anything yet. G said he would try and find out anything as well.

Back towards the middle of April, we received letters in the mail stating that on May 15th, we would be having a community wide inspection done and that if there were any repairs, painting, etc that needed to be done to the outside of our homes or the land our homes are on, they needed to be done before that date. We didn't think anything needed to be done to our house, shed, yard, etc. so we didn't.

Now, fast forward to Sunday, May 31st. Around 730-8pm, we get a knock on our door. It's L's daughter handing me an envelope that has our last name and address on it. I thanked her and she left. I assumed it was a letter telling us when they would be coming to do our inspection to get our house on the market since it had yet to be done! I was wrong! It was a letter stating that they did the community inspections on May 15th and the only thing that needed to be done to our property, was our shed needed to be painted. Not only does it need to be painted, but it needs to be done by June 10th or we will get fines and/or legal action brought against us! Oh my goodness, I was furious!

I am mad not only because they community managers have yet to do our inspection that we asked to get done, but because it took them 16 days to get our letter to us. They did them on May 15th and we didn't get the letter until the 31st! What the heck! Not only that, but now we have only 10 days to get our shed painted! Josh works every other weekend (and this coming weekend is his ON weekend) and we have 3 small children! We don't have time to get this done by June 10th!

Well then to top all this off, L stops by our house this morning around 9am. I answer the door and she asks "Is your husband home?" After giving her a look like why do you care if my husband is home or not, I said "yes but he isn't dressed to answer the door. What do you need?" She wanted to know if he was going to mow the lawn today. I said "Yeah, why?" He really wasn't planning on it but I didn't know what to say. She proceeds to tell us that K will be coming this morning to do inspections and that she will point our lawn out to be mowed by the community (which is a $45 fine if they have to do it for us) because it's a tad longer than our neighbors lawns! You've got to be kidding me! I said "well, speaking of inspections, when is ours going to be done so we can get our house put up for sale?" She said "I've been emailing and calling but not getting any answers." I said "OK, this is bull crap! We got the letter stating there was an inspection done here on May 15th and the only thing that needed to be done was having our shed painted. We didn't get that letter until 16 days later and we have 10 days to get it done! I'm about ready to tell you all that I'll paint my shed! But I will not pay the $30 fee for another inspection to be done so we can list our house!" She just kind of looked at me, shrugged her shoulders and said "I don't really blame you." I said "OK, we'll paint and we'll mow and then, I want my house put up for sale." Then she left.

Josh, the kids and I took off to go get paint and run a few other errands. We didn't get back home until about 130pm today. There was nothing on our door or anything about anyone stopping by to do the inspection, yet L had said that K was going to be here today.

I'm just fed up with the managers, owners, whoever or whatever they are. The one thing that M had said to us when he met with us, was that we have been great residents here. In the 5+ years that we have lived here, not once have we ever been late on a rent payment. He told us that showed him we are good people who they need to bend over backwards for. Yet, here we are over 2 weeks later with no inspection, 10 days notice to comply with what THEY want done or else, and 2 very unhappy residents of their community!

I will be making a phone call to M tomorrow and I will be doing all that I can to keep my cool!

2 comments: